THE 11th INTERNATIONAL PADEREWSKI PIANO COMPETITION
November 10th – 24th, 2019
The Competition is open to pianists of all nationalities, born between 1987 -2003.
REPERTOIRE FOR PRELIMINARY AUDITIONS (maximum – 30 minutes)
Each competitor of preliminary auditions shall perform:
a) 2 virtuoso etudes (one of them by F. Chopin);
b) the first or more movements of a classical sonata (yet always inclusively with the first movement);
c) one or two works of competitor’s choice, in different styles, but not from the classical period.
REPERTOIRE OF THE COMPETITION
1. The I. J Paderewski Piano Competition offers its participants an opportunity to perform the repertoire of their own choice. Thereby, the Organizers give pianists the chance to present their artistic personality, imagination and individuality.
Free choice of the repertoire is restricted by one condition only.
The repertoire to be performed throughout the Competition should contain works representing at least three different music styles.
3. The Jury shall assess the selected repertoire and its rendition taking into account pianists’ ability to construct the program of a recital, understand and render the depth of works representing a variety of musical styles, thereby display musicality and artistic personality.
1st STAGE – performance duration 25-30 minutes
Free choice repertoire
2nd STAGE – performance duration 40-45 minutes
1. All competitors of the 2nd stage shall perform two or more works by I. J. Paderewski.
All competitors shall select works from group A and B – at least one from each group.
A. from the series – Polish Dances op. 9:
No. 3. Mazurka in A major
No. 4. Mazurka in B major
from the series – Album de Mai op.10:
No. 1. Au Soir
No. 2. Chant d’amour
from the series – Miscellanea op.16:
No. 1. Legend
No. 2. Melody
No. 3. Thėme variė in A major
No. 4. Nocturne
No. 6. Un moment Musical
B. from the series – Polish Dances op. 9:
No. 6. Polonaise in H major
from the series – Album de Mai op. 10:
No. 3. Scherzino
No. 5. Caprice Valse
from the series – Humoresques de Concert op. 14:
No. 1. Menuet
No. 2. Sarabande
No. 3. Caprice /genre Scarlatti/
No. 4. Burlesque
No. 5. Intermezzo polacco
No.6. Cracovienne fantastique
2. The selection of the remaining works of the 2nd stage repertoire is determined by a pianist.
A. RECITAL - duration time 40–45 minutes
1. All the A semi-final participants shall perform a compulsory custom written piece by Michał Dobrzyński (ca. five minutes).
The scores of the composition will be available as soon as the list of Competition participants has been published.
2. The selection of remaining pieces performed in A semifinal shall be determined by a pianist.
B. W. A. MOZART PIANO CONCERTOS
Competitors in the semi-final stage shall perform one of W. A. Mozart piano concertos with the Chamber Orchestra:
No. 15 in B-flat major, K.450
No. 17 in G major, K. 453
No. 19 in F major, K. 459
No. 20 in D minor, K. 466
No. 21 in C major, K. 467
No. 23 in A major, K. 488
No. 24 in C minor, K.491
No. 27 in B-flat major, K. 595
The participants of the final stage shall perform with the I. J. Paderewski Pomeranian Philharmonic Orchestra one of the following piano concertos:
I. J. Paderewski – Concerto in A minor op. 17
I. J. Paderewski – Polish Fantasy op. 19
L. van Beethoven – Concerto No. 3 in C minor op.37
L. van Beethoven – Concerto No. 4 in G minor op. 58
L. van Beethoven – Concerto No. 5 in E flat major op. 73
F. Chopin – Concerto No. 1 in E minor op. 11
F. Chopin – Concerto No. 2 in F minor op. 21
R. Schumann – Concerto in A minor op. 54
F. Liszt – Concerto No. 1 in E-flat major
F. Liszt – Concerto No. 2 in A major
J. Brahms – Concerto No. 1 in D minor op. 15
P. Tchaikovsky – Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor op. 23
S. Rachmaninov – Concerto No. 2 in C minor op.18
S. Rachmaninov – Concerto No. 3 in D minor op. 30
S. Rachmaninov – Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini op. 43
S. Prokofiev – Concerto No. 2 in G minor op.16
S. Prokofiev – Concerto No. 3 in C major op. 26
K. Szymanowski – Symphonie concertante No. 4 op. 60
Międzynarodowy Konkurs Pianistyczny im. I. J. Paderewskiego jest organizowany w ramach projektu pt. "Kujawsko-Pomorskie Menu Kulturalne 2013-2014" współfinansowanego ze środków Europejskiego Funduszu Rozwoju Regionalnego w ramach Regionalnego Programu Operacyjnego Województwa Kujawsko-Pomorskiego na lata 2007-2013 oraz ze środków budżetu Województwa Kujawsko-Pomorskiego.